Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Lightning Bugs!

Hey -- The Typist here, liveblogging from a rocking chair on the porch of a cottage at Mount Sequoyah.

And there are Lightning Bugs with me!!!

Yes, more sophisticated types might call them fireflies, but where I grew up they were lightnin' bugs. And they were once the only bugs I would touch voluntarily.

They weren't around when I was up here in May. Must be lightnin' bug season now.

I just caught one and let it crawl around on my hand. It wouldn't light up while I was holding it. (Is there a ministry metaphor there?)

And when I look across the lawn, they're all over the place, showing off beautifully.

We don't have lightnin' bugs in the DFW area. It's times like these I really miss living in Arkansas.

Susan is here in the rocking chair next to me. Folks are talking and laughing all over the grounds. Reconnecting with old friends and making new ones. Good stuff.

Not much else to say... I just got excited about the lightnin' bugs...

6 comments:

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

I hope you are having a wonderful time. It was sweet hearing about the lightning bugs.

Anonymous said...

I can identify with being excited to see lightnin' bugs (and that's what I grew up calling 'em in Kentucky!). We certainly don't see them here in Orlando, either. In late May, we visited my daughter in her very rural home in western Kentucky...there were lightnin' bugs everywhere! I loved it! It was all I could do to keep from raiding her kitchen trashcan looking for a jar with a lid to punch some holes in...

That's funny...they were the only bugs I would touch, too.

spookyrach said...

cool!

Diane M. Roth said...

it's great to be excited about lightnin' bugs

Susan Cox said...

Great to be with you ... I just am still reeling over the fact that the Missouri cabinet has 5 , count the FFFIIIVVVEEE women dss out of 12. And we got to know each other on the mountain, lightening bugs and all....I bought some home grown sweet corn and tomatus (does anyone call sweet corn roastin ears???) thinking about that on the way home...Taketh good care....SKCJ

The 54th Tishbite said...

I can't tell you how refreshing it is to see someone spell "lightning" correctly, as opposed to "lightening" or "litening".

No offense, Susan...