Saturday, June 30, 2007

Friday Five: Gifts and Talents

Sally over at RevGalBlogPals writes: Our Circuit (Methodist) is having a "Gifts and talents day" tomorrow- we have a minister visiting from another circuit who has modified the Myers Briggs personality test and added a few things of his own to run a day where we get to look at ourselves in the light of giftings and of the whole church. The idea is to encourage everyone with the news that there is room for you in the ministry of the church- and perhaps to discover where that ministry might be.....

It should be an interesting day, and one where I hope people will leave feeling encouraged and challenged...

So with gifts and talents in mind here is todays Friday 5:

1. Personality tests; love them or hate them?
The Typist: I'm one of those geeks who finds them fascinating. I first took Myers-Briggs when I was 15, and it's been interesting to see some things shift over the years.
Cub: Well, I guess I don't really like them because dogs only usually take them if they might be in trouble (I remember hearing the phrase "fear biter" when I was little).

2. Would you describe yourself as practical, creative, intellectual or a mixture?
The Typist: Definitely a mixture. It all depends on the situation. And if math is involved, I'm none of those things.
Cub: Probably practical. I know what needs to happen all around me, and I try to keep everyone in line.

3. It is said that everyone has their 15 minutes of fame; have you had yours yet? If so what was it, if not dream away what would you like it to be?
The Typist: I may be having mine right now. It feels odd to get elected to something. Also, I've been doing more writing for the national publication where I work, something that wasn't in my job description until just a few months ago.
Cub: Well, I have a blog, don't I? I'm very famous, as dogs go. But I would still like my own calendar. And maybe I should look into writing a children's book.

4. If you were given a 2 year sabbatical (oh the dream of it) to create something would it be music, literature, art.....something completely different...share your dream with us...
The Typist: I don't know how creative I'd be, because I'd probably focus on travel first. I've had a hankering for Alaska ever since we got back from there last August. But I guess it would probably be literature or music (though with music I'd need a lot of help, as the only instrument I play with any confidence is my own voice).
Cub: I'm with Molly on #4... my whole life is a sabbatical!

5. Describe a talent you would like to develop, but that seems completely beyond you.
The Typist: If I could have the patience to learn to play guitar or piano... I'm pitiful in that I learn a bare minimum of a musical instrument and then flit on to something else. (Currently, my guitar doesn't even have strings.) Instead, I surround myself with musicians I admire. I'm the least technically skilled person in the band, but they still let me sing.
Cub: I would like to be able to let my right ear flop over just at the very tip, like it did until I was about four years old. It only happens now when I'm really, really tired, but I know the thumb-havers think it's adorable.

Bonus question: Back to the church - what does every member ministry mean to you? Is it truly possible to encourage/ implement?
The Typist: It means what it says. Trouble is, many people have never internalized it, and it's an idea that takes a lot of work -- something many of us just aren't used to if we're not getting paid for it. I love Diane's comparison to a bluegrass festival!
Cub: What do I know? I'm a dog. My ministry is to be the best girl I can be and love everybody, even if they're scared of me or they think I don't belong in the house.

No comments: