Friday, December 29, 2006

Friday Five: Dream a Little Dream

The Typist here, playing this week's Friday Five (although I'm sure the other owner of this blog dreams frequently of chasing squirrels and bunnies).

"In the Last Days," God says,"I will pour out my Spirit on every kind of people: Your sons will prophesy,also your daughters; Your young men will see visions, your old men dream dreams. When the time comes, I'll pour out my Spirit On those who serve me, men and women both, and they'll prophesy."(Acts 2:17-18, The Message)

On this final Friday of 2006, it seems appropriate to speak of dreams. A very important dream about a lighthouse played a role in my journey towards ordained ministry, and mine last night were vivid and included a flying church. Please feel as untethered yourself in responding to this Friday Five. Tell us all about:

1) a dream you remember from childhood: See answer to #3.

2) a recurring or significant dream: One of my mother's hobbies was stained glass. More than a decade after her death, I had my one and only dream of her thus far. In it, she was showing me a large multi-paneled stained glass window, and one of the upper corner panels was clear glass. She didn't say anything, but gestured at that one, and I got the distinct impression it was for me to finish. (Hoping it was a metaphor, as I have no plans to take up that hobby... but soon after, I felt called to a much more active role in the life of the church, and I know she sorely missed being active in church during her illness.)

3) a nightmare: As a small child, I had such a vivid dream that the amusement park in our hometown had burned, that I convinced my big sister to drive me there that morning to check on it, even though it was closed that day.

4) a favorite daydream: That I can one day become a full-time philanthropist.

5) a dream for the New Year: That I will become more open to that particular life change I find especially terrifying. Tried getting there this year, and it didn't happen.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praying that the way will become straight for the change you seek!

DogBlogger said...

Thanks, Mary Beth. Seems like everyone else wants it worse than I do right now.

Theresa Coleman said...

T minus 3 and a half days (give or take...)
Are you ready???

DogBlogger said...

Not quite ready, Reverend Mommy... but I'm big on last-minute flurries of activity, as anyone (biped or quadriped) in this house can tell you.

Unknown said...

Great play.

Happy dreaming for you.
Hope things work out for you when it is time.

I like your dream about the multicolored window and one that is clear.

Katy V. said...

I love the stained glass dream! It calls up beautiful images of church and family, and the wonderful tension of "unfinishedness" that the church always experiences (for me), as well as the "unfinishedness" of people in the church--by this I mean that we are always in the process of being finished and transformed by God. I also love that in your dream the image of a stained glass appears---a work that is joined together by its creator and while all the pieces of the material are separate and beautiful on their own they are even more beautiful when joined together by the artist. Thank you for sharing this wonderful dream.

Unknown said...

I'm glad to know you and wish you sweet dreams in the New Year!

Anonymous said...

Welcome to RevGalBlogPals - glad you joined the group.

leah said...

Welcome to RGBP, and congrats on venturing a Friday Five before your official welcome! Blessed 2007 from this parent of Four (4) CATS!!!!!