Friday, March 23, 2007

Friday Five: Rivers in the Desert

I am about to do a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert. Isaiah 43:19, NRSV

From Songbird over at RevGalBlogPals:
As we near the end of the long journey toward Easter, a busy time for pastors and layfolk alike, I ponder the words of Isaiah and the relief and refreshment of a river in the desert.

For this Friday Five, name five practices, activities, people or _____ (feel free to fill in something I may be forgetting) that for you are rivers in the desert.

The Typist here, playing alone today. (Unless Cub's at the vet, she pretty much lives in the "river..." and I pray her desert days are few and far between!)

So, my rivers in the desert:

1. The Alpha. I can hardly believe I've known him for half my life now. And been married to him for a third of my life. He's such a blessing.

2. Both dogs. Cub and Angus (aka The Boy) are basically comfort and happiness covered in fur (which they shed all over the house with reckless abandon, but that's beside the point).

3. RevGals. There's something precious about clicking on any of our huge list of blogs and enjoying a pleasant distraction (Mindy, her Weinermobile sighting, and the hilarious lead-in story), finding a need for prayer (a round of diagnostic tests for Elastigirl's the worrier), or receiving a prompt for spiritual reflection (Cheesehead's meditation on John 12:1-8)... and honestly, it doesn't matter which one of those it is. The connection is what matters.

4. Going out to eat. It's a frivolity, yes, but one that can feed me in multiple ways... allows a little break from the ordinary and the opportunity for face-to-face conversation. And it's less of a frivolity when viewed in the context of "table fellowship." I've taken a dip in this river more often than usual this week.

5. Yoga. In January, a dear church friend who is a newly-certified instructor began offering yoga sessions. Sometimes it's difficult to mentally take "this hour just for you," as she says, but even if I'm not totally into it, it helps me get a sense of renewal. (An example of not being totally into it: this week, during the meditation that ends the hour, she was leading us through a scene at a lake. In the scene, a flock of geese landed among tree stumps sticking up out of the water. One of the members of my imagined flock was he who we know as our Goose... The Boy, Angus. Our Australian Cattle Dog, who in real life occasionally does think he can fly, descended with the Canada Geese and perched uncertainly on a tree stump, giving his little honk-like whine that led to us adding Goose to his list of nicknames. It was difficult to not burst out laughing in the midst of my relaxing meditation, but at the same time, the visual was so perfect!)

14 comments:

Unknown said...

You make me miss our Alpha!
I admire you for doing yoga. I have tried it in the past, but don't seem to be built with the necessary flexibility.
Hope this weekend will be one of refreshment for you!

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

I love yoga and never make the time for it. I would love to be able to take an actual class.

~sighs~ and I still want to drive the weinemobile. If I ever get to, I will come and get you!

Terri said...

Love yoga. Did it for many years, but alas, not much lately...

And my dogs...well our lab-red heeler mix, is very mellow, great personality - she lets the other dog think she is the Alpha, but we all know better...and the other dog, our Viszla, now here is the one who thinks she can fly - often bounces straight up in the air (as if to see over the tall grasses that do not live in my kitchen) and then spins around in a circle...too funny...

Thanks for playing and sharing!

Sally said...

great list- I've tried yoga and tai-chi and find they both help to slow me down and lift the stress of day to day stuff.

zorra said...

Re: your visualization--I can see it too. I love it.

Deb said...

Ah yes, spring shedding season...
but the loves we get in return are worth it. (And Sam's Club sells sticky rollers for de-hairing by the dozen!)

Deb
and
^^
><

Sr. Heather said...

A beautiful and inspiring river! Our Australian Shepherd (The Lady Raven Mudpaw von Wigglesbutt) has started dropping her winter coat in clumps all over the house again. The carpet has to be vacuumed at least once a day, or it turns gray and then black. But she's such a sweetie!

Unknown said...

How lovely, and what neat ways to feed yourself. Keep enjoying those dogs.

Lori said...

Yea! Yoga! Ain't it great? And it's a sign of your higher intelligence that your thoughts drift to the funny while so relaxed and reposed (she said giggling in agreement).

Great list!

Jules said...

Well, gee golly gosh. (blushes) Thanks.

A fine list!

Anonymous said...

Dogs are wonderful rivers, fur and all!

Amy said...

The other great think about going out to eat is that you don't have to run around looking for the pepper, or getting another thing from the fridge. You can concentrate on the meal and conversation without all that.

Plus you don't have to clean up!

gavin richardson said...

communion at a bar

seethroughfaith said...

loved this .. and thanks for the hug :)