Friday, October 19, 2007

Friday Five: Homage to the Top Chef

This week's play from RevGalBlogPals:
We're more Alton Brown fans around here -- never have seen Top Chef -- but regardless of our television preferences, Food = YES!

If you were a food, what would you be?
The Typist: I've struggled with this one! I'm still not sure. Maybe the Everlasting Gobstopper, what with all the different-colored layers and the occasional surprise.
Cub: I don't want to be food! I hear some thumb-havers eat dogs! No, no, no!
The Typist: Relax, Cub. (Dogs aren't always good at metaphorical stuff.)

What is one of the most memorable meals you ever had? And where?
The Typist: I'm not the spicy food fan of the family, but for The Shed I make an exception. If food brings tears to my eyes, I normally stop eating it. Except when I'm there. It was at least as much fun to watch The Alpha's surprise as it was to actually have the meal.
Cub: Once I was at my friend Sophie's house and saw a dish of little candies on the coffee table. Everybody else was in the kitchen, and I could reach them myself, so I ate them. They were good! When the thumb-havers noticed what I'd eaten, they all got kind of worried because dogs aren't supposed to eat M&Ms, but I was fine.

What is your favorite comfort food from childhood?
The Typist: My mom's beer bread. She never liked beer, and hardly ever drank so much as a glass of wine, but for beer bread she'd go to a liquor store that would sell her just one can of beer. And the result was always wonderful.
Cub: When I was a puppy I'd sometimes get cereal in milk as a special treat. Hey, I should ask for that again!

When going to a church potluck, what one recipe from your kitchen is sure to be a hit?
The Typist: Anything The Alpha makes. The youth always want to know what he's brought. (It usually involves a Jell-O mold.)
Cub: I'm not allowed to go to potlucks. I would always be underfoot, looking for what thumb-havers might have dropped!

What’s the strangest thing you ever willingly ate?
The Typist: Well, separately they're no big deal, but together they make an unusual appetizer: prosciutto ham over cantaloupe was our starter item for an anniversary dinner several years back. Delightful!
Cub: When I was a puppy I had a towel that I liked to shake around. I ate a piece of it once, and it didn't come out so well, if you know what I mean. The Typist keeps my towel on a high shelf now.

Bonus question: What’s your favorite drink to order when looking forward to a great meal?
The Typist: A margarita or a nice glass of pinot grigio. Or, for a non-alcoholic option, sweet tea.
Cub: Milk. I really like milk! I have a little bit of white fur around my mouth, so it always looks like I've been in the milk, even though I haven't.

12 comments:

Diane M. Roth said...

so Cub like milk! I've never tried that with Scout.

great play!

Unknown said...

Cub, I think you could be a big help at a potluck!

DogBlogger said...

Diane, you ought to see her. When she drinks water, it splashes all over the floor. When she drinks milk, not a drop is wasted!

Melissa said...

I like the Gobstopper idea. Wish I had thought of that!

RevAnne said...

We're big Alton Brown fans, too.
Cletus the WonderMutt loves peanut butter...especially if it comes on a vanilla wafer dog cookie.

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

You ate part of a towel? Yikes!

Sally said...

well played both... love that gobstopper thought- always changing...

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

mmm... MochaJava Puppy didn't eat a piece of towel but a wrapper from a stick of butter that went straight down the hatch. not a pleasant day for him was that...

zorra said...

Oh my gosh--carne adovada at The Shed!! Great memories! Meet me in Santa Fe, and after we eat at The Shed, we'll go up to Taos and compare the carne adovada at Orlando's.

The Scientist deliberately puts too much milk on his granola every morning, so that you-know-who can drink what's left over.

CoG said...

Gobstoppers are great! Good play.

RevHRod said...

Cub may win the prize for most unusual consumable! Thanks for a fun and creative play.

Lindy said...

Well, I really enjoy an egg on top of my kibble. Those chickens rock, I'll tell you what.

Love,

Rowan